Sunday, May 5, 2019

WTF: The show Coffee Prince ...was ahead of its time!

Coffee Prince

Unlike me, who is, effectively, twelve years behind on this.

Super late reaction, I know, but I'm sure I'm not the only one, as Netflix had just recently added it to their roster.

On my birthday, Beardy and I were chilling in my mom's living room the whole afternoon. My family was out on churchly duties but had left Coffee Prince playing on Netflix, and we sort of just left it on, paying attention every now and then as we go about our business. I started paying real attention about half-way in the story.

You see, I had my doubts. Everytime I see gender-bending outside of what I percieve to be LGBT-safe contexts, I'm afraid to pay attention because I'm afraid to see transphobic things. And knowing that many of my friends have seen this show, I did not want to feel bad or worried. I'm not really the type that enjoys catching people make mistakes, like what many people seem to do in our current call-out culture. I see too clearly how damaging ideas are formed and do not feel free to blame any one particular individual a lot of the time. I just see how systematic the problem is and end up feeling quite bad. But after watching the rest of it, I actually ended up feeling quite good! Such a nice, weird, fun, but heartwarming show. Here are some points!

Image result for eun hye helmet coffee prince
EUN-HYELMET IS SO CUTE DEMMET

Subversion that isn't merely for the sake of shocking: I have to admit I judged it pretty hastily. "What? How could they not know that she's a girl after she took her helmet off?! Come on." I thought it was purely an immature "BoYs aRe liKe thiS bUt GiRls are norMalLy nOt! heuk heuk" shock-and-awe type of humor, but the more I watched it, the more I saw it as a tool to be able to write a well-rounded female character. When the characters make statements about gendered expectations, it doesn't feel like the show is taking a stance, but rather, it feels like it is reflecting a realistic portrayal of how people currently think about gender, and how when we get over it, more organic, diverse ways of being a woman or being a man are allowed into existence.

Image result for choi han-sung
Like the cute friendship of these two!!!
Of course, there was still space for caricatures for humor, and this doesn't necessarily get used for all the characters in the show, but you see that perspective shine through every now and then. Remember, this was 2007 so that was pretty great already! It was subversive for the sincere purpose of writing realistic people.


Characters with deep emotional depth: There isn't a switch in the hearts of the characters that can be clicked on with the use of a grand gesture plot device. When they get hurt, there's a struggle between holding and moving on. It takes time, and you can see them negotiate and deal with their feelings. They ask for space, and explain how they feel.

Image result for yoo joo hang sung fight
When Hang-sung and Yoo-joo make up, or not? or yes, or no? Yes. They did.
The male lead in particular is really shown as immature, and even though they seemed to make that look "cute" at times, I didn't feel like it was ever portrayed as valid. It is often repeated that he needs to "grow up". The female lead, even when she inadvertently hurts his feelings by choosing to study abroad, is shown to be reasonable for doing this, and rather than breaking the relationship off, the two are shown maturing in their own ways. The girl's horizons widen, and the boy's emotional endurance becomes strengthened. Instead of going back to his playboy ways, he actually makes a long distance relationship work. He is able to be patient for once, and for his character, that's a huge development.


Image result for grandma coffee prince
His grandma is also a very interesting character in this area. She isn't portrayed as a simple villain. She is trying to do what's best for her grandson, and she is a victim of falling for her first impression. She is eventually won over, but not by a grand gesture. It took time, and she gave a condition that also lets the girl gain something, and eases her own qualms about the relationship. It is still pretty extreme, but it's suited to the character once again. It doesn't feel like a stance from the writers, but just a natural extension of the character.

Romantic authenticity: This show didn't have the weird alien "air-brushed" feeling that other shows have nowadays. Remember that delightfully disgusting Jjajangmyeon battle?!

If you have a weak stomach, just don't. Pretend it's just a picture.

There is awkwardness (A LOT OF IT OMG?), there is sex, there are potty mouths, brash characters, and you love it all in some way, because it feels sincere. Even when you're slinking at the end of your seat during the convertible scene. That's TOO LONG TO NOT PUT YOUR SEATBELT ON WHY ISN'T ANYONE PULLING THEM OVER?

All in all, I felt like the show was trying to say that everyone's different, and you must be authentic and true to yourself, but you do not use this as an excuse to never improve yourself. Everyone will have their own way of "being better", and will have their own conditions that they need to sustain their individuality while giving part of themselves to others. It's a freestyle dance, and you cannot expect people to line up in rows and do a line dance for the sake of making it simpler. There will be bumping involved, but there will always be space for who you really are.

Image result for coffee prince grandma
I just wish they left space for her boyish style and short hair until the very end!!! But that's just me. That's her life journey, and I respect that.

No comments:

Post a Comment