Thursday, April 2, 2020

Post-post-post

So! I forgot to write this update yesterday, but here are my takeaways after my experiment:


  1. Choosing to delay net-negative tasks takes the pressure off. "I shouldn't do that" sounds final and scary and makes your pleasure feel threatened. But if you just delay it for ten minutes, it's less threatening. And if in those ten minutes you find something more fulfilling to do, then great! 
  2. It was unclear to me though, what to do, when the same urge comes after doing a more productive task. So I ended up doing one for an extended period of time. But the good thing is, I was able to truly enjoy it rather than feel nagged to stop the whole time.
  3. The "ten minute" aspect of it isn't as important as just the act of delaying certain things and replacing them for a set period of time. The amount of time is arbitrary. It's the impulse to replace that makes more difference.
I will keep it short and leave it at that for now! Woop

No comments:

Post a Comment